Toxic Charity and Why Handouts Don’t Always Help
Builders across America knew something was wrong but couldn’t quite put their finger on it. Those who build Homes for Hope have come to realize that handouts don’t always help, they can hurt. One of our favorite books around the halls of Homes for Hope is Toxic Charity by Robert Lupton. Here is what happens when you give a handout rather than a hand up:
- Give once and you elicit appreciation
- Give twice and you create anticipation
- Give three times and you create expectation
- Give four times and it becomes entitlement
- Give five times and you establish dependency
Fight our immigration problems by empowering thousands of people to overcome poverty in the countries where they are born by building one home locally. Click here to read what my colleague, Harvard grad, and the President and CEO of HOPE International has to say regarding Toxic Charity.